Thursday 22 March 2012

It feels good to woodshed again

Discovering my old study material has reawakened my curiosity. So I've been going back over some of the material and getting my limbs back in shape. There have been two additional discoveries from this process. The first, and most obvious, is the sheer joy of rhythmic movement. I find jazz rhythms particularly relaxing despite the fact that they are often physically and mentally challenging. There’s nothing that compares to sitting there, settled in to a groove with, ironically, time standing still.

The other discovery -- and one that threatens to get out of control -- is to realize where ideas come from and how easy it can be to be creative. I'm not saying it's a cakewalk, just that within each exercise, each figure, each rhythm, there lies a host of variations that can provide a lifetime's worth of study. All it takes is a bit of imagination ... then sufficient practice to pull it off.

So I guess I'd better get started!
-rb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home