Tuesday 3 April 2018

Why I like Emanuelle Caplette

I love watching drum videos. But there's something about many of them that perplexes me, especially with many of the “academic” type videos. Some of these people don't seem to be having much fun ... or no fun at all. I know that we need to take our craft seriously, but I’ve seen videos that almost seem like the presenter is in some sort of pain. A few take such a reverent stance that you'd think they were playing in a monastery.


And on the other hand, there’s Ms Caplette. In every one of her videos she seems to be having the time of her life. And there simply is no defence when her enthusiasm hits you full-on. I love it! If I were to create a video, I hope I'd be able to express even a fraction of this kind of joy. Doesn't mean I'm not serious about drums -- at times I'm as serious as a heart attack.

It's Not Rocket Surgery
Or as Cher put it, "We're not discovering a cure for cancer here." Yes, what we do is important in a lot of ways, and we need to take it seriously, but that doesn't require a funereal atmosphere.

No Fun, No Gain
If pain is nature's way of telling you to slow down, then 'fun' must be nature's way of saying, "This is good for you”. I'm very serious about this having fun business. Numerous studies have shown that we learn better and perform better when we're having fun with -- or at least feeling pretty good about -- the task at hand. In my own teaching, I want to see smiles from time to time --  'cuz if it's not fun, it'll show in the results.

Bonus Points
Fun has many benefits. It lowers stress, improves learning and retention, and enables you relax and play better with less effort. You're more receptive to input and your enthusiasm can help build group cohesion. Plus it’s way more fun.
www.emmanuellecaplette.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home