Thursday 11 July 2024

Bruce Lee Never Played Drums

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times"

It was Master Lee's  contention that, while one could learn a lot of different techniques, we can truly master only a few. The people who have mastered their chosen craft have spent countless hours practicing a single fundamental item. Golfers practice their chip shots thousands of times. Tennis players practice their serve to the same degree. Are we drummers consistently following this proven path to success?

“I dare not say  that I have reached any state of achievement,  for I am still learning, for learning is boundless!”

How often do we spend a meaningful amount of time on one exercise before moving on to the next? Does it stay on our practice schedule until we own it, or do we cross it off after a few successful tries?  It's tempting to retire something if it seems to be presenting no problems, but that does not necessarily lead to mastery. I also find that when I'm itching to get on to the next thing, I don't concentrate well on what I'm doing, and that will hamper my progress.

“There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there; you must go beyond them”

Master drummer-educator John Riley says you need to over-master your skills, something he aptly calls 'headroom'. In order to do the job competently, you should strive to have way more technique and ability than needed. That way you can easily do what's called for regardless of the situation, and also have lots in reserve. You can then focus on the music and not worry about your ability to handle things.

“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at” 

Having a sense of direction in your musical journey is vital, but imposing rigid (and possibly arbitrary) goals can be too confining, and may even steer you in the wrong direction. If you think of goals as guides rather than rules, then you can better focus on the journey.
“The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus”

When practicing a sticking exercise, rather than trying to play it faster, I’ll concentrate on how well I’m playing at that speed: Can I keep this up for a chorus or more without strain Are my feet co-ordinating well with my hands or am I playing a lot of flams? Does it sound musical? Should I slow it down? There’s a lot that I can focus on, and each aspect teaches me something while still moving towards my goal.

There's nothing magical about 10,000 hours or 10,000 repetitions, but the message is clear: More practice on a few items trumps less practice on many items. So while you may run the risk of being a ‘one kick wonder,’ what a marvelous kick that is going to be.


“The possession of anything begins in the mind”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home