I like a fairly open sound from my drums, but invariably
there always seems to be just a little too much ring or an odd harmonic I want
to get rid of. So my choices in damping techniques have always been
minimalistic. I wish I could get more of the Rogers clip-on dampers I picked up
years ago. Similar products on offer today seem to be too ambitious -- and a
poor fit with my frugal lifestyle. So when I saw The Drum Clip, I was curious to
see if this little item would do the job.
The Clips are simple bits of molded semi-soft plastic,
and easily clip onto a drum rim. A pad rests on the drumhead and is not
adjustable. There are two sizes -- small and very small -- and each Clip comes
with two stick-on pads, one felt and one foam, for three levels of damping.
I normally put a half piece of Moon Gel on my smallest
tom. I swapped that out for the smaller Drum Clip and was reasonably pleased.
The Clip didn't rest on the head that well, so I also tried it with the supplied
damping pads. (The Clips relaxed a bit over time and made better head contact
for a good result.)
I have this monster of a floor tom (14 x 14 fiberglass)
and getting it under control has always been a challenge. I had a vintage Rogers
damper and two moon gels on it, and it was still pretty raucous. I played around
with the Drum Clips and found that the larger Clip with foam did the trick on
its own.
I wanted to try the Clips because the Moon Gels were
somewhat problematic. If I left them on the drums, they'd end up mashed up (or
melted) in the bottom of the case or missing altogether. If I took them off and
pocketed them, I'd invariably forget them next gig. The Drum Clips hold on
solidly and stay where I put them. I did wonder whether they'd work with the
"S-hoops" I had on my toms, but they seem almost designed for these hoops.
Drum Clips are priced at a very reasonable $6.95 and
$8.95, but are often discounted. I bought mine from the creator, Keith Jones,
and paid about $50 including shipping for six Clips. There is also a bass drum
Clip that looks interesting. A new product is a modified version that will
accept accessories such as microphone Clips.
www.thedrumclip.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How To Nail The Correct Grip
You'll find tips on the 'correct' hand grip in just about every drum book, magazine and web site you come across. You'd th...
-
I wasn't always obsessed with drums. I managed to get half-way through my teen years before becoming addicted. Then I jumped in with bo...
-
The bass drum has a long and colourful history. When not being used to send long distance messages or intimidate an enemy, it's long b...
-
Of all the traditional snare drum rudiments, two have had more than their share of drama. The Drag and the Ruff (a.k.a. Dragg, Rough) have ...
No comments:
Post a Comment