Saturday 28 December 2019

No Bad Drum Heads

There are today a lot of companies making drum heads, ranging from the global standards -- Remo, Evans, etc. -- to boutique makers such as Earthtone and Kentville. And of course, every maker offers a variety of styles, sometimes to the point of our total bewilderment.


The good news is that there is very little chance of getting a bad drum head. Most of today's heads are manufactured to close tolerances using precision tools and machinery. So a head from a reputable company will do the job it was designed to do.

OK, quality and consistency? Check! Then things get a little weird.

That's My Brand
We look to brand names as a sort of guarantee. If I've settled on head X from company B, then when it's time to replace, a newly purchased head X will be virtually identical to the one I'm replacing. That applies across all brands and all styles, and that's why we tend to 'join' a particular brand. That said, brand loyalty shouldn't be an end in itself. I have a favourite drum head maker and a favourite model, but I use all sorts of different heads. Plus I know I can start with or go back to my standard any time and know that I will get the result I'm partial to.

All for Nought?
Say all you want about shell composition, bearing edge topology and whatnot, it's up to the drum head to translate all that technology into a sound that represents you. Good drums will be delivered with quality heads that the drum company thinks will do a good all-around job. It's a good starting point, and you may not have to look any further. But often this isn't the case. Why? 'Cuz we're all different.

More Trial and Less Error
Let's say I buy a new set but they came with heads I can't stand. No choice but to replace them with my regulars. Now, if those heads don't work either, what then? Toss 'em onto the spares pile and try something else. I'll find the right head for those drums eventually, but it might take a bit of testing, and perhaps a few purchases.

Make the Investment
If my usual heads don't work, then I'll concentrate on one drum, say the small tom. Those heads are typically under $20 these days. So for about $100, I can try four or five different heads. Once I've got the sound I'm looking for, I may then commit to a full set. Ponying up $100 or more for drum heads that I may end up tossing aside seems like an expensive way to achieve my goal. But if the kit cost two or three thousand dollars, it's a pretty cheap solution. Even if I strike out 3 or 4 or more times, I still think springing for those heads will more than pay for itself in the long run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home